Weak Immune System Symptoms and How to Recognize Them
The immune system is your body’s set of defences against harmful substances, germs and cell changes that could make you ill.1 Now more than ever, we want to have strong immune systems to fight off any infections. But a healthy immune system relies on good habits, like a balanced diet2 and regular exercise3, and is weakened by habits that harm your health. Have a look at the checklist below and ask yourself:
- Do you frequently go through bouts of cold and/or flu?
- Do you have any other diseases (e.g. diabetes)?
- Do you have trouble with your weight?
- Do you lead a stressful lifestyle?
- Do you have irregular sleep patterns?
- Do you smoke?
If you answered yes to one (or several) of these questions, chances are that your immune health may be suboptimal. Let’s take a look at 6 weak immune system symptoms and what you might be able to do to help your body’s natural defences.
- Stress.4 You may notice that after a big project or a strong emotional experience you can sometimes become unwell. This happens because the body secretes cortisol (a stress hormone) which leads to immune system compromisation.5
- Frequent infections (cold and/or flu): Multiple bouts of cold/flu annually can be a sign of weakened immunity. When you get the flu, your immune system kicks into overdrive, heating up your body and causing a fever to fight off infection. If you go through multiple infections in a year, it is a major manifestation of primary immunodeficiency rate.6
- Tiredness and fatigue: If you are feeling tired no matter how much sleep you get, it could be one of the weak immune symptoms.7
- Drastic changes in bodyweight: If your weight is not healthy for your height (i.e. you are overweight/obese or underweight), you can have compromised immunity. Obesity negatively affects immunity, as evidenced by higher rates of vaccine failure and complications from infection.8 Several studies in children or adults suggest that both underweight and obesity are associated with increased infection risk.9
- Wounds take longer to heal:10 If you’ve noticed that minor injuries seem to be taking a long time to heal, your immune system might be weakened. The reason for this increased healing time, or even age as our immune system weakens after early adulthood.11
- Tummy problems: If good and bad bacteria in your stomach become unbalanced, it can cause your immune system to go into overdrive.12 13
What you can do to combat weakened immunity
Even if you’ve noticed any of the above weak immune system symptoms, it’s not all doom and gloom. If you are wondering how to increase immunity, there are some simple steps you can take to help your weakened immune system. Start forming good immune health habits now by following a few simple rules below!
- To avoid infections, wash your hands regularly with soap and warm water, or using an alcohol-based gel. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.14
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet containing lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. This will help provide your body with vitamins and minerals needed for healthy immune function.15 You can also take a supplement like Redoxon® that can help you restore healthy micronutrient levels in your body.16 17 18
- Exercise regularly to reduce stress and improve circulation, both important factors for a healthy immune function.19
- Get quality sleep. Sleep has a strong regulatory influence on immune functions
Reduce stress. If you find that regular exercise and a healthy sleep routine aren’t enough to reduce your stress levels, you can try relaxation methods like meditation or yoga.20
1. Andersen CJ, Murphy KE, Fernandez ML, Impact of Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome on Immunity, ADVANCES IN NUTRITION, Volume 7, Issue 1, January 2016, Pages 66–75, https://doi.org
3. Ellis S, Lin EJ, Tartar D, Immunology of Wound Healing, Current Dermatology Reports 7(6), September 2018
4. Morey JN, Boggero IA, Scott AB, Segerstrom SC, Current Directions in stress and Human Immune Function, Curr Opin Psychol. 2015 Oct 1; 5: 13–17.
5. Natelson BH, Haghighi MH, Ponzio NM, Evidence for the Presence of Immune Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2002 Jul; 9(4): 747–752.
6. How to prevent infections. Harvard Medical School, 2016. (Accessed 10/02/2020, at https://www.
7. Gombart AF, Pierre A, Maggini S. A Review of Micronutrients and the Immune System-Working in Harmony to Reduce the Risk of Infection. Nutrients 2020;12.
helps support your
Your body is equipped with powerful natural defences and your immune system has many ways of dealing with threats from bacteria and viruses.21 The Immune system is made up of three main defense mechanisms; Physical barriers (skin and mucosa), cellular barriers (white blood cells) and antibodies.22 Nutrients such as vitamins and minerals are essential to the health and function of this complex network.23
In our fast-paced world of fast food and pre-cooked meals, it may be challenging to consume adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables delivering all the vitamins and minerals we need to fully support our body functions. An inadequate intake of vitamins and minerals can negatively affect the immune system and overall health.24 That’s where Redoxon® comes in. Our Vitamin C product is designed to help support your immune system.25
Redoxon® for a healthier immune system
You need to look after your immune system. Even though it may not feel like it, your immune system works 24 hours a day.26 Just as a plant needs water and sunlight, your immune system needs regular nourishment to support the body’s defence systems.27
Together with a healthy lifestyle including physical exercise and good nutrition, supplements like Redoxon® provide the foundation for a strong immune system all year round.28
80 years of vitamin C expertise
In 1934, we pioneered the world’s first Vitamin C supplement, and we’ve been helping people keep their natural defenses in top shape for over 80 years. Today our own VItamin C supplement helps to support your immunity every day.29 30
Build your immunity
Looking for ways to strengthen your immune system? Check out helpful articles on immune support.
6 ways to strengthen immune system with good habits
Discover habits which let you boost your immunity and avoid infection. Change your lifestyle, bolster your immune system and stay healthy!
Cold and flu - everything you need to know
Find out what you can do to boost your immunity against cold and flu.
16 Vitamins C, D and Zinc: Synergistic Roles in Immune Function and Infections PDF
25 Vitamins C, D and Zinc: Synergistic Roles in Immune Function and Infections PDF
28 Vitamins C, D and Zinc: Synergistic Roles in Immune Function and Infections PDF
29 Redoxon Product Information Leaflet
30 Vitamins C, D and Zinc: Synergistic Roles in Immune Function and Infections PDF